Have you played "Decisions Decisions," yet?

Rival Hero: Return the Favor: Chapter Two

Chapter Two

June 10th, 1:15 PM

Erin couldn't open the envelope immediately.

"Give me a second," she'd told Margot, and then proceeded to take an hour long shower.  She then dried her hair, brushed her teeth, and put on fresh jean shorts and a top for the first time in a while.  Margot had stopped waiting for her at this point, and was reading a magazine on the couch when Erin came into the living room, cleaned up and finally ready to deal with whatever disaster this envelope entailed.

"The suspense has been killing me," Margot said.  She sounded excited.  She had never seemed to fully grasp just what it meant, the Spaniel knowing the Blue Lynx's secret.  But then again, Erin had barely talked to her about it, so how could she know?

"Alright," Erin said, taking the envelope from the kitchen table.  "Let's do this."

She slipped her finger underneath the flap and paused.  This wasn't going to be good.  "You don't have to open it," she thought to herself.  "Just... Don't worry about it."

She could toss it in the trash, crawl back in bed, let the Spaniel come get her if he wanted, what did she care...

But the look of expectation on Margot's face was too much.  Erin slid her fingernail across the envelope, tore it open, and brought out two sheets of folded white paper.  She opened them up and saw long typewritten letter, which she promptly read.

Miss Steele,

Salutations.  I probably don't have to tell you, but this is the Spaniel, aka the city's GREATEST SUPERHERO, aka your CONQUEROR, aka the keeper of your SECRET IDENTITY.

How are you?  I feel like I haven't seen you in weeks, hahaha.  Have you been watching the news?  I have been on fire lately.  I successfully rounded up the remaining Rattlesnakes.  I'm now the talk of the town, people love me, they can't get enough of me.  And the Blue Lynx?  People aren't even asking where she is.  The city has accepted me, and only me, as their protector.  And I must say, I'm not letting them down.  Unlike some other superheroines they've seen...

Anyway, let's get down to business.  Let me just say first that you have been doing a superb job at NOT being the Blue Lynx.  You've been a very good little obedient girl, being Miss Mild-Mannered Erin and nobody else, and you clearly took my words to heart.  (Though maybe you should find a hobby that's not getting drunk every night-- yes, I have been watching.)  I hope you have noticed-- and APPRECIATED-- that I have been a man of my word.  I have not uttered a peep regarding you, the Blue Lynx, or your unlikely connection since our last encounter.  I am KEEPING your identity a SECRET.  I'm doing you a FAVOR, Miss Steele, and I think it's time you return it.

Which is why I'm writing a special request.  To put it simply: I need upgrades.  I've studied all the tools in your belt, all your little gadgets.  They're pretty good-- whoever designed them for you... There's no way you did it yourself... deserves a round of applause-- but I want things that are even better.  I deserve things that are the best, if I plan to keep protecting the city.

Unfortunately, I'm no tech expert, and I am short on cash.  This is where YOU come in.  What I need you to do is send me some of your daddy's money.  I know he's loaded, and I know a spoiled little brat like you can find a way to get it.  You might already have it, actually.  I'm not asking for a lot: just $2,000.  Send it via PayGrid.  My account name is TheBrianNelson.

Two thousand dollars, Miss Steele.  By tonight.  2,000 at 10 PM or earlier, or your secret is, well, no longer.  For the good of the city-- and for the good of yourself-- I strongly suggest you help me.

Until we meet again,
The Spaniel

P.S.: forgive me for addressing this envelope to the Blue Lynx.  Cheeky, I know.  But the mail guys don't read the names anymore, right?  It's all scanning.  Your secret is safe with me and the post office, hahaha

Erin set the letter down on the kitchen table, fell into a chair, and sighed.

"What?" Margot asked.  "What's going on?"

"He's blackmailing me," Erin said.  "He wants two thousand dollars by tonight, or he goes public with my secret identity."

Margot gasped.  "Two thousand?"

Erin nodded.  Her hand balled up into a fist on the table.  "That bastard," she muttered.

Two thousand wasn't horrible.  Erin could pay it: she had enough in her account to do it immediately, without even having to ask her "daddy."  But was her secret worth protecting at all, anymore?  Especially if this was just the beginning.  Knowing the Spaniel, this was probably a mere introduction to the ways he planned to use and abuse the Blue Lynx.

"Are you going to do it?" Margot asked.

"I don't think I have a choice," Erin replied.  She stood up from the chair.  "But this is it.  I'm not going to let this idiot push me around, after this."

She could see Margot beaming.  "So... you wanna go outside and train with me today?"

"I'll make this payment first," Erin said.  "Get it out of the way.  And then, yes.  We'll train."

Margot jumped up from the couch, ran at Erin, and wrapped her in a big, surprisingly muscular hug.

On to Chapter Three 

No comments:

Post a Comment