Have you played "Decisions Decisions," yet?

The Fearsome Five: The Gauntlet: Chapter Three

Chapter Three

April 18th, 9:15 PM

The City Paint Factory.  A massive, blocky brick structure, nearly a century old, in utter disrepair.  Broken windows, broken doors.  A crumbling relic from a forgotten past.

Another night, another abandoned building.

Why was Hammerson so drawn to these places?  And why, for that matter, was Erin?

"It's pretty cool, don't you think?" Erin said, as Margot drove into the factory's parking lot.

"I think it's an eyesore," Margot said, pulling into a space and putting the car in park.  "I think bulldozing it is the one good idea Hammerson's ever had."

"Wow," Erin said.  "I thought you liked old things?"

"I do," Margot said, staring at Erin.  "I don't like this one.  It's an ugly waste of space."

Erin chuckled.  "Suit yourself."

"That reminds me," Margot said, staring up at the building, which must've been at least six stories high.  "Do you want me coming in tonight?  As Black Bobcat?"  She reached into the backseat and patted her backpack.  "Because I'm ready."

"I know you are," Erin said.  "But tonight I'm going in alone."

"But Erin," Margot protested.  "You said it yourself... Hammerson is through.  All of his goons are dead.  He has nobody now.  Well, maybe a couple of thugs.  But I can handle a couple of thugs!"

Erin clapped her hand on Margot's shoulder.  "I know you can, girl."

"Okay," Margot said.  "So why can't I come?"

She was being pretty stubborn.  Erin didn't want to hurt her feelings.  But she couldn't dance around the issue any longer.

"Because you're not a superheroine, Margot."

Margot blinked.  "Well, no, but..."

"Until you can beat me in a fight, you can't come along.  That's the deal, right?"

Margot let out a long, disappointed breath.  "So you'll take me as a partner when, you know, you're bound to a slab in a creepy basement and about to be fucked by a vine."

Erin shook her head.  "Margot, don't do this..."

"And you'll take me as a partner when you're tied in the back of kid's car in your bra and panties.  Or when some frat boys have you pinned down in an alley.  You'll want me then, right?"

"Margot.  Stop."

"Oh, and when a couple of horny hillbillies have got you trussed up in a shack.  They're about to unmask you, take off your clothes, about to fuck you silly... That's a good time for help too, right?"

"Margot!" Erin yelled.  "Shut up!"

Margot stopped, looked out the windshield, and sighed.

"Listen," Erin said.  "You're my back-up.  You're my tech support.  You have saved my life so many times, and we both know it.  But you're more effective when you're out here.  If we both go in together, then we can both get in trouble.  But if you stay out here..."

"I get it, I get it," Margot said, waving her hand.  "Whatever, Erin."

It was a bizarre mood shift from this afternoon.  Erin didn't understand it.  Was Margot really that upset about not getting to wear a stupid spandex costume?

Erin didn't want to pursue it any further.  "I'm counting on you, girl," she said, stepping out of the car.

And with that, the Blue Lynx crept over to the front door of the paint factory, looked around, saw that the coast was clear, and stepped inside.

On to Chapter Four

No comments:

Post a Comment